Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Big Day

Today was Jack’s “Line Leader Day”, Owen’s first day at his new school, and my birthday.

Jack was over the moon that he got to bring Cheese-It Snack Mix for snack to share with his class  - apparently I have been depriving him of this snack for his entire life… Luckily, I made it up to him by buying it for snack, fffew!

51HRdV-tluL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_[1]

Owen slyly asked me to make Star Wars pancakes for him as today was “a lot like the first day of school, right mom?”  How could I not make them?  He was a little nervous about school, and I also got a little nervous as we drove past Grand Ridge in the morning and he sighed, “I really miss my school already.”  But, when we got to his new school, it only took about two minutes for him to warm up to the classroom, take the teacher’s hand and walk away from me.  After school he was all smiles.  He had a “great” day and said he wants to go back.  As he put his coat on, he yelled, “oh!” and handed me a tooth!  It has been loose for exactly two days.  That made him an instant celebrity, of course.

IMAG0445

He was non-stop talk after he requested lunch with his dad.  “I like the school.  The have the loooongest recess ever and guess what was for snack??  Orange juice and crackers.  I had 14.  14 is like a 10 plus a 4.  You put them together and you get 14, get it?  We went to the library and I checked out TWO books! [Only one was allowed at Grand Ridge for Kindergartners]  Now, I didn’t raise my hand at all today because I wasn’t actually sure what they were saying.  But I asked the teacher something and she said, “oui” and I knew what that meant, so that was good.  And also, the kids all said ‘Je m’appelle, Victor’ like that; and then I said, ‘Je m’appelle, Owen’  And they have one big sink, but they make two lines and TWO kids can use it at the same time…” 

He is going for half-days this week, but the school only offers full-day kindergarten (or as we call it –“Days where you get out at the same time as Katie and Sarah”)  So he starts that next week.  But when I suggested that he try to stay on Thursday, he said, “Yeah sure, that would be great!”

That was a great birthday present.  My little guy being so relaxed and happy in a new environment. 

Other great birthday moments – Eric singing me awake, eating breakfast with my whole family, coffee with Lisa, lots of well-wishes from friends and lots of family, hearing that my birthday breakfast from last year will be a tradition,  flowers on the porch from Nana and Dock and Tyler, my Mama stopping by to wish me Happy Birthday in person, sharing my birthday with my Grandma and brother.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! I'm so glad Owen had a good day! I'm wondering how long the recess was. I love that he thought it was LOOOOONGGGG! hee hee
    Benefits of private school I guess. :)

    I missed Owen tell me to get the job chart up on the wall today. You can tell him that I did change the jobs but didn't manage to get them on the wall (as usual)! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fabulous. Can't wait to get caught up on everything!!

    ReplyDelete