Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Interview

Owen did great on his visit to the French school today.  The director  and I went with him into his classroom and we observed for awhile.  Owen was intrigued by the teacher singing songs with the kids.  The students went to recess and the director talked with Owen for awhile in French.  Owen stamped ocean themed stamps and the director told him the names of the animals  in French.  She gently suggested that Owen repeat the word, and he did – smiling shyly each time.  When she pointed at the crab and said a sentence and then pointed at the whale and said a sentence Owen guessed correctly that she was comparing their sizes.  You could tell he felt so smart.

We toured the building a little and returned to the classroom.  I needed to talk to the director and she suggested Owen stay in the classroom for a short time without us.  He was understandably nervous, but I said he could play with some dry beans in the room(and just watch the other kids from a distance), and I also slipped my car key in his pocket (so he would know I was staying in the building) he laughed and agreed to stay.  I was super proud of him.

When I returned, I found him sitting at the table with the other students drawing something for the reading lesson they had had.  He seemed happy to see me return but didn’t jump up to leave.    

Owen is positive about the French school as long as it is not in conjunction with leaving his current school which is sad for him – and for Eric and I  are sad for him too.  We definitely thing it is the right move for him in the long-term French learning, but it is always hard to say good-buy to a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Ah-ha! I can comment now! :) Glad the interview went well! He'll do just great. I just don't know how I'm going to survive though without someone reminding me to change the job chart and to take my keys out to dismissal. :(

    Best wishes to Owen!!

    ReplyDelete