Saturday, January 23, 2010

Nana’s Surprise

Today, Nana’s Surprise birthday event…interior_diningroom[1]    a delicious brunch at the Salish Lodge…

ended up being surprise people too.  Yea!P1231331Nana, Lisa, Becca, and Me

I am not usually a “surprise person” – knowing something is coming that I might not be ready for – just make me kind of nervous.  But today I was surprised not only by the venue and the people who joined me, but at the great happiness I felt being with these three friends.

Because, while they all came together to celebrate me, I couldn’t help but to think that I am a better person because of each of them.  Here are just a few reasons that I am so happy to have these friends in my life. (And I do mean “a few” - ‘cause I could go on for a long time, but I am hoping everyone reads to the end, so I will keep it short (ish)

Nana is they type of person that everyone loves.  She has an excessive amount of energy, and is always upbeat.  She is fun and loves to laugh - even at herself.  (I would like to be able to do that more.) Yet, Nana is so tenderhearted and genuinely interested in the things that everyone has to say.  She cares deeply for people, including me.  I smile when I just think about Nana (and so do my kids; she’s there Godmother.)

Lisa is amazingly creative and talented (how she doesn’t see this in herself confounds me.) She is always up for anything, even at the very last second or when it’s something that she’s never done before.  If I don’t feel up for something that she has invited me to, I usually go anyway, because I know that just hanging out with her makes me feel happy. I admire the fact that Lisa is so easygoing and friendly with everyone.  Everyone seems to know her, and smiles when she approaches. Eric jokes that I go through withdrawals if I don’t talk to Lisa at least once a day, and it is quite possibly true…

Becca is an awesome listener. If I tell her something about myself, she asks me questions to find out more, rarely turning the conversation to herself.  I try to be more like her in that way, but usually just end up interrupting (then she stops and listens-though I don’t deserve it!)   Becca is thoughtful, and thought-provoking. She encourages me to really understand what is happening in my life, and not to take everything just at face value.  Becca’s advice is only offered when asked for, and  she always seems to have something that works!  But I have to be careful not to think of her as too sensible, because Becca is an oxymoron.  Every time I think I really understand what she is all about, she does something just crazy enough to mix things up! That might be my favorite thing about her.

And something that I love about each of these friends-Nana, Lisa, and Becca- is that they are always trying to grow and to become better people. And they’re willing to share their successes and failures with me.  Which makes me feel like my failures are ok.   It is so encouraging to be around people like that!

If you read all the way down to here.  Thank you! They deserve having more people know their talents.

2 comments:

  1. great friends are irreplaceable. i'm glad you have so many in your life. sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post! Such nice words - thanks Julie!!! I'm so glad you had a good time at brunch, I thought it was SO fun too. I could have sat there for another 2 hours talking! Especially with those little chocolate bits to put in our coffee nudge:) I cherish our friendship and Kevin and are so fortunate to have you, Eric and the boys in our lives:)

    Love,
    nana

    ReplyDelete