Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Jack’s First Day

IMG_5257 Jack squeezed my hand and huddled against me as we walked down the school hall .

Jack: Mama, I want you to stay here with me today.

Mama:  Today is a teacher and kids day.  Mama will pick you up right after school.

Jack: I will make four homeworks in school - for our whole family, ok?

Jack gave me a quick hug, put his backpack and coat where they belonged, IMG_5260put his name on the “attendance sheet”, grabbed a name tag  and gave a cheery hello to his teacher.  Then he sauntered over to the back of the classroom.

Mama: Can I have a good-bye hug Jack?

He didn’t hear me, and I wanted to leave him happy, so I sacrificed my “closure” and turned to walk away. So sad.

Owen: Jack! Come back and give your Mama another hug!

Jack swung around, got big smile on his face, and ran to hug both me and my Knight in Shining Armor.

_____

This was truly the “first” day of school for me.  The first day when I would be alone – both boys in school.  I was feeling sad as I walked back to the car with Owen.

Owen: (choked up voice) Can I sit in Jack’s car-seat?  It’s just…well, I miss him so much.

His eyes were watery and he had a sheepish grin.

When we were in line at Owen’s school, he looked down at his bracelet.

Owen: I am looking at Jack’s.  I miss him the most!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my Lord that is adorable...You should be one proud Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think your kids could be any cuter. I'm SO excited to see the effect they had/have on Grady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. could your boys be any sweeter? love how much they appreciate each other.

    ReplyDelete