Thursday, April 8, 2010

Grandpa

Today my grandpa gave me (all of us, really) quite a scare, and landed himself in the ER for the second time this week.  Apparently the first time, which lasted only about three hours, wasn’t exciting enough, and he went for the whole – have a nurse push the emergency button on the wall and make 10 new medical staff appear out of the woodwork-thing.  Maybe grandpa has been watching too much Grey’s Anatomy…

Tonight Grandpa is in the ICU to be observed, but he is doing much better and did not have the cardiac arrest they thought he may be having when he arrived.  We hope tomorrow brings more information (and comfort for him).

My grandpa is the stoic 79 year-old typical of his generation.  Respect, hard work, no complaints.  Today was no different.  As he lay in the ER bed, he said to us, “I feel just fine. I don’t see any need for them to keep me here.  I feel fine except when I move.”

I am never quite sure when he is serious. 

Close to our wedding day, Grandpa pulled Eric aside to talk privately with him – to give him some advice – I assume about Eric’s role as a husband.  (I remember thinking that my grandpa looked so serious, and Eric a little nervous.  I smiled at the thought of grandpa giving him the “you take good care of my granddaughter threat speech.”   While I was not privy to the entire conversation, I did come to learn of one specific instruction. 

Grandpa: "If she ever asks you to iron – you BURN the shirt.”

Thanks Grandpa.

2 comments: