Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gardening

I do not have a green thumb.  Thus, this is a section of my yard has been a haven for weeds for the last two years.

IMG_0876 (2)  IMG_0882 (2)

Becca loves to garden and has done some amazing things in her yard.  She encouraged me to plant something.

So when I saw these ‘sedum’ plants at Costco a few days ago, I bought them, and showed Becca.IMG_0916 (2)IMG_0917 (2)

She approved.  And five trips to three different Costcos  later, we had (most of) the plants we needed.

Today we spent about six hours organizing, and planting these babies.  We planted the first kind of sedum around the paving stones.  If I can keep the boys from walking on them for a bit, the should grow and fill in all along the edges.  It is my favorite part of what we did (at least it will be if all goes well…)IMG_0883 (2)

 IMG_0914 (2)

Afterwards we planted the sides of the pavers.  I think we used 5 big plants of the pink guys below, and 72 individual sedum plants.IMG_0919

It was really fun to plant with Becca.  And it definitely was nice to have  someone there who knew what she was doing!  The time truly flew by, and I couldn’t believe how long we worked.  (Though I have no trouble believing it now since I can feel it in my lower back…)

IMG_0893 (2)

The photo doesn’t really do the job justice, but here is one side of the section that is done.  The pink flowers are planted in a row, and the sedum are planted in a wavy lines.

 IMG_0885 (2) 

We planted everything else we had on the other side, but we are going for trip 6 to Costco #4 tomorrow morning to see if they have any other of the pink plants left.IMG_0913 (2) 

Thanks for all of your hard work Becca. (And thanks to Mat for letting me borrow her for the day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment