Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine Project

For some reason, Owen’s class did their Valentine exchange today.  Owen was excited and asked me to iron a shirt so that he could be fancy with a tie.  Aint he cute?IMG_7265

He made these little key chains for his classmates to put with the cards. My grandfather had given the monkeys some steel rods with an alphabet letter on each. He had used them in his lock business  - I think to stamp the keys.  I was excited to see something like this keychain in a magazine, and thought Owen might be able to do it.IMG_7268

Owen chose the letter that needed to be stamped and then hammered the letter onto a washer.  I ended up holding quite a few of those rods, and have to hand it to my little five-year-old for hitting the rod several times [hard] for each letter and never once hitting his mama’s fingers.

(It was super cold outside as you can probably tell.  Jack had on his whole snowy weather ensemble – and was a great helper as “holder of the finished washers.” – a very important job!)IMG_7242

Owen measured the ball chain and cut it with wire cutters.  He was so proud of his grown-up use of tools.IMG_7262IMG_7264

Each keychain was put into an envelope with the monster Valentine card that Owen had picked out earlier in the month.

IMG_7256

Jack would like everyone to know that the monsters are not scary, just fun monsters that are nice and fun.

3 comments:

  1. Reason #493 you are the best... mom... ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool project...I paid $$ for a necklace on etsy with Grady's name on it just like that..I bet the kids were thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...REALLY?! Yet ANOTHER reason why I am so sad Owen is not in our class. :)

    Good job Owen!!

    ReplyDelete