Sunday, May 2, 2010

Slow Day

Some days seem to fly by so quickly.  I wake up, do a few things (but not usually the things that need to get done) and then fall into bed exhausted, wondering what happened.

Each day I try to spend time on the house, some with the boys, some with Eric, and have some time alone for myself.

In trying to fit all of those in, I often combine cleaning the house while listening to a book on cd or some type of podcast.  I love that I can have my mind on something else and still get things done around the house.  “Reading” this was was a big revelation to me, at the time I discovered it, that I didn’t have to choose between taking care of the house and having some time to myself.

But today I have rediscovered books.  I have had a novel sitting on my bedside table for months now and picked it up this afternoon, reading a few pages.  I have read it off and on all day today, and have almost finished it. 

There is something about progressing through a book.  Where the few pages you hold in you left hand increase until they hold the entire book.  It is tangible proof of progress.

The thing is, I also did so much else today.  Eric and I sat and talked and drank coffee this morning.  We all played Lego for ages.  I roughhoused with the boys, made dinner, did a few loads of laundry, talked on the phone for an hour with my friend, and spent over an hour this evening reading with Jack and teaching him letters.

Every time I noticed the time, it seemed like hardly any time had passed.  I even had the beginnings of a migraine today and I slept for a few hours to let it pass(not sure what that was about as I haven’t had one in probably 5 years!)  Still the day stretched on, and made room for more time to relax.

I have no doubt that tomorrow will fly by, but it was great to have such a slow day, and to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment