Friday, May 14, 2010

Rocket Cake

I am not sure how or why, but I have just spent something like three hours decorating a birthday cake for Owen.  IMG_1002That doesn’t include the time it took to actually make and bake the cake.  Twice. (The first time, two weeks ago, as a test to see if you could actually bake a cake in a tin can – you can.)  Nor the time to hunt down the silver “rivets” which I could find in no stores or online.  I was lucky to be able to get them, as I happened to mention it to my grandma, who dug through her baking stuff and found one jar which looked 40 years old.  It also doesn’t include the time it took to find the right candy for the fins – something that would hold its shape.  (I can tell you what doesn’t work, if you are interested.)

Owen really wanted  a rocket cake and party, and I wanted his cake to be nice since there really isn’t going to be much else in the way of decoration.  With his birthday so close to our trip, we decided to do a small gymnastics event at the gym that he and Jack go to each week. 

I think I probably care more about the cake than Owen.  I wonder how long it will take the kids to eat it…

1 comment:

  1. we waste a significant amoutn of time on birthday cakes, i would agree. however, the rocket cake is pretty awesome. i hope owen loved it as much.

    ReplyDelete