Sunday, February 7, 2010

Starbucks Milk

Before I discovered the amazing Smith Brothers (who deliver my milk every Tuesday). I would occasionally run out of milk and not realize it until morning.  In our house, this is a Big problem as the boys have a cup of milk first thing in the morning. 

I could have just run to the store with them on these days, but the thought of getting all of us dressed and taking already hungry one and two-year-olds in and out of carseats, through a store, and then back home, made me want to cry.  Because, did I mention that they like their milk warm?

So, off to Starbucks we would go – through the drive-thru.  Two warm milks (at the same cost as an entire gallon…) and one latte makes for a happy family. 

When Eric went on business trips, I would take the kids to the play-space at the mall until bedtime, then change them into pajamas, get warm Starbucks milk (poured into sippy cups), and drive home.   They boys loved the special treat and I didn’t feel so alone at bedtime with this different routine.

During these Starbucks runs, I have purposely avoided any flavors in the milk, not wanting the monkeys to know that it was an option!  I did finally cave and buy them Vanilla milk when we went to Whistler last summer for vacation, but when the boys asked for it later I simply said, “Oh, that is a vacation drink.”

Today, a quick errand turned into an over-two-hour errand, and Jack and I were out at dinner-time.  I  stopped at Starbucks for a sandwich rather than buy other fast food, and got milk for Jack (he requested it be cold).

I wish I could have taken a photo of Jack’s face when he saw what the barista made for him. A huge cup of chocolate!!! milk with whipped cream on top!

IMAG0009 IMAG0010

Jack deserved a special treat as we planning on eating dinner with Daddy and Owen at Nana and Doc’s house – and we missed that, but I am foreseeing bad times at Starbucks from now on…

Instead of milk from there being a treat, it will be a denial of something better…

2 comments:

  1. i love steamed milk. and caramel apple cider. did the barista make chocolate milk without asking you? i would be floored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I asked for a kid's cold milk. I wondered why it was taking them so long to make it...

    ReplyDelete