Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pool Culture Shock

The boys and I decided to go swimming today.  I knew that pools were different in France- in that boys had to wear speedo-style suits; so I brought those with us from the States so we didn’t have to hunt for them here.

Last night I read about the pool, and realized that they also require bathing caps for all swimmers.  We stopped at a store to buy those on the way to the pool.

(I couldn’t find the caps in the store, so I had Owen ask a salesperson to help.  He didn’t know the word for bathing cap, so he just said “hat for swimming.”  That worked, and the saleswoman pointed us in the right direction.  Owen ended up having to ask another salesperson where the caps were, and I noticed that he used the proper word this time.  It is so fun to see him be creative enough to get his point across, and quick enough to pick up on new vocabulary.)

Anyway, we found the pool, and paid for our tickets to enter.  But then I was stumped.  I looked for the changing rooms, but there was only one set of double doors that were wide open.   There were lockers and benches and the floor was tile and damp, but there were men in there, so I passed it (glad that I hadn’t passed the door when they were actually changing.)    After I walked around a bit and found no other doors, we returned to the first set of doors.  A bemused pool worker, who was stationed at the doors, asked if we wanted to swim and took our tickets.  It was then I noticed that there were men and women in the room ahead.  And we were obviously meant to go in there.

I really wanted to ask her what to do next, but felt ridiculous because what else is there other than changing into your suit?!?! So, in we walked.  I remembered the other day I was in a women's bathroom that a worker was cleaning.  He was cleaning in the bathroom with the women in there which I though was a bit strange.  Then he closed the women’s bathroom, and all of the ladies just went right into the men’s bathroom.  With urinals and everything.  No one seemed to be troubled at all.  I wondered if maybe the French aren’t so worried about seeing the bodies of the opposite sex.  I was not quite ready for that and began to think.  The towel I brought wasn’t big enough to wrap around me, so I wasn’t sure how I would get changed discretely.  What should I do?    I tried to see what others were doing without staring, and noticed there were small changing rooms with doors on one side of the room.  I relaxed and started to walk into one when the worker ran up to us and started pointing at our shoes and speaking urgently.  Shoes were NOT allowed in this room.  okay.  We took off our shoes.  Then I became nervous again.  I never fathomed that going to a pool would be a cultural experience.  I thought the bathing suits and caps would be the challenges – and I had done my homework, darn it, it shouldn’t feel so hard!   I was bothered that this felt so foreign, it wasn’t like I was experiencing some brand new foreign custom that I had no context for.   And I felt like the workers were thinking the same thing, “What is this lady’s problem???”

We changed in the little room, then figured out the locker system and were ready to go.  The bathrooms were also in this co-ed room.  You would think that particular process would be straight forward, but there again, I was unaware that one needed to get toilet paper before you go in a stall.  grrr

I knew enough to take a shower and be fully wet before I even thought about going near the pool.  It was obvious from the no shoes rule, and the immaculate changing room, and the full time staff member that was  moping and drying the floors the whole time.

And they are more serious still… there was also a decontaminating foot bath that you had to walk through before you entered the pool area.

The boys and I had a great time in the pool.  There were two normal sized pools from 3 to 12 feet deep that we swam and jumped in.  There was also a smaller pool that was much more shallow and much warmer. Swimming there was about the same as a pool in the States, except there were no life guards.  There were two workers who sat at a small table in shorts and tennis shoes.  They glanced up occasionally, but had their backs to two of the pools.  I also noticed that every kid had their parents with them, or some kind of care giver, and there was no splashing other people.  I don’t know if that was a rule, or it was a tame group of people there that day or what.

After two hours I was cold and done.  The boys really wanted to stay so I had them come with me while I showered and changed.  Then I went back into the pool area to let the boys play in the pool where they could touch and I could watch them, and jump in if any crazy thing happened. 

That idea was quickly squashed by one of the workers.  She explained (through Owen) that an adult has to be in the pool area with a bathing suit on.  Owen was asking her why, and she didn’t seem to find this polite and switch to choppy English and turned to me.  I tried to explain Owen’s “why” by saying that there were lifeguards at American pools.  Somehow she seemed to think that I wanted her to be with the boys, and then I felt like a really rude American, and just thanked her and left with the boys.  Two hours is a long time to swim in one go anyway.

The showers were also co-ed, and there were no quick rinses.  Everyone had soap and shampoo and were lathering every square inch of their bodies.  Many had their own washcloths with them.

I helped the boys get dressed and as we walked out of the locker room, I noticed a wide red line painted across the floor indicating the point at which shoes are no longer allowed.   The line and sign were obvious if you were aware of the rule, but not so obvious if you were wondering how you were going to change in a coed locker room and try to be nonchalant and as “local” as possible.  Oh well, next time we will be pros.

The hairdryers were outside the locker room and were adjustable.  Definitely something I could get used to .  I want one in my house!

IMG_4579

This was an interesting machine.  I have never seen anything like it.  A vending machine for bathing suits, caps, goggles, swim diapers, and even those super absorbent towels!

IMG_4582IMG_4583IMG_4584

No comments:

Post a Comment