Sunday, March 13, 2011

“Something”

Maumau came for a visit today and as Owen and Jack ran up to give her hugs, Jack stopped short and accused, “You forgot something!”

Mamau assured him that she had “something” in the car and she would go back down and get it after she  put down the things she carried up first.  I believe Jack gave her a hug after he was satisfied with her answer…

The “something” is Mamau’s milk frother and special chocolate  to make blender hot chocolate for the monkeys. IMG_8211 The special chocolate she brings is a Mexican chocolate that has cinnamon and a strange gritty texture (it is yummy).  I find it quite funny that this hot chocolate has become a special drink my mom makes with the boys since Eric’s family lived (for 10 years) in the region where this specialty Ibarra chocolate is made.

Today Jack was the lone helper as Owen was caught up in the X-box Risk game that never seems to turn off when Uncle Bobby is here for a visit.IMG_8219 (My brother will not like that I posted a photo of him, but I don’t think he reads my blog – so keep it under your hats people!)

The milk gets warmed and fluffy in the frother while the chocolate gets chopped up (and Jack tries to con as many of the pieces as he can from Mamau .)  The milk and chocolate go into the blender (Jack’s favorite – buttons and loud noise), IMG_8218

and into cups for the boys to drink.IMG_8212Us “big kids” are not forgotten as Mamau brings her espresso machine too.  Jack finds the tiny cups of espresso adorable (and I am sure that said tiny cups would disappear into Jack’s room if my mom was not so good at cleaning them and popping them into her bag as soon as the libations are served…).IMG_8221

Way better than Starbucks!

4 comments:

  1. Ha that's funny. I remember riding the bus in Guadalajara and it would pass the Ibarra place. I hated the smell that would fill up the bus :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess that explains the lack of bonding over Ibarra chocolate with your side of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember we even toured the Ibarra factory with our school once, and at the end when they let us taste, we didn't want to. I hated that stretch of the bus ride with the cinammon chocolate smell...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It haunts my darkest memories...I remember the Sabritas factory tour where they gave us all those chips at the end. Eddy - te acuerdas de "chester cheto?" ay ay ay ay ay ay.

    ReplyDelete