Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Scaredy Cows

In Scotland, we saw fields of cows that were all white.  I thought it was really interesting – I can’t remember ever seeing such white cows before – certainly not whole fields of them.IMG_3910

Jack, confused about why white cows were interesting, asked the natural question, “Why are the cows white?”

So, I gave the natural answer, “A mean combine machine jumped out from behind a bush and yelled ‘boo’ at the cows.  The cows were so scared that their black spots fell right off!”

Jack was instantly intrigued.  He asked me to tell him the story over and over during the next few days.  He looked out for the mean combine, but it must have been hiding a lot.IMG_3912

The story evolved during the trip to make it last a little longer and to explain anomalies.  In this field we figured, the combine frightened the claves, but the mother didn’t fall for the combine’s trick.

I felt slightly worried that Jack was so taken by the story; but Owen practically rolled his eyes each time I began it, so I figured I would let Jack enjoy himself while he still could.

No comments:

Post a Comment