Thursday, July 29, 2010

Birds

Just before we came to London a friend of ours was telling us that he was irritated by some children who were chasing birds.  He had been talking about his recent vacation, and I assumed that he meant the kids were screaming and carrying on outside his hotel room balcony while he had been trying to relax.  Then he continued his story to say that he was further appalled as the children’s parents watched their kids chase the birds and did absolutely nothing about it.  It wasn’t that the noise had bothered him, but the simple fact that the children were chasing the birds.

I must admit that I have often allowed my boys to do just that.  They are thrilled by the endeavor, and I just figure that the birds are at a great advantage as they have wings and will never become close to being caught by my children (or any other children for that matter).

I like birds and wouldn’t allow my boys to chase them if I thought the birds were in danger or even afraid.  I clearly remember a small yellow canary that my family was watching who literally died of fright from our cat.  Even though it was protected in a cage, the canary was terrified because it thought it was at risk from the cat. That experience  had a deep effect on me.  It shocked and upset me and I would never wish that fate on any animal. 

But I do not feel like wild birds are at that disadvantage. It seems to me that the birds my boys chase are not at all afraid – but are, at most, mildly irritated by the situation. When my boys cause them to fly, they usually land just a few feet away. (I have even thought the birds might be mocking the boys a little…)

What I haven’t thought/realized is that the birds have been plotting for some time now.  In London, while waiting in line to enter the aquarium, they exacted their revenge. (Apparently, oceans are not too wide for birds to send their messages…)

Owen was kneeling by the wall of the aquarium, playing with some small pebbles when I heard him exclaim.  I glanced at the lady’s face with whom I had been talking (she was facing Owen while I had my back to him), and there was a look of horror.  When my eyes made it over to Owen, he also had a look of horror on his face, but it had the quality of a toddler who has just fallen, and is surveying the adult’s faces to see if he should cry.  So, I laughed.  A large pile of bird  excrement was on Owen’s shirt, and another was sliding down his arm.  But I laughed, hoping Owen would too. (he did)  "It is not your lucky day!” I piped while I wiped him up with wet wipes, gave him a new shirt,  and doused his arm with hand-sanitizer (many times).

The woman I had been talking to, who thought we were interesting Americans just a few short minutes before, flashed me a dirty look, turn her back to us, and pulled her children in front of her.  At first I thought the lady reacted this way because she was worried she and her family would get caught up in the cross-fire of the bird retaliation.  But later I wondered if it was my reaction that was what really bothered her.  Maybe that was part of the birds’ plan – the attack itself coupled with the lack of sympathy of the British people for my unfathomable American reaction!?!

Now that I have considered this situation more fully, I must say that I am not a little confused.  I would have guessed the birds would have chosen Jack as their target.  He certainly is the more aggressive chaser.  It could be that Owen had racked up more points since he is older and thus, has earned at spot closer to the top of the Birds’ Most Wanted list.  Since I am not privy to the list’s criteria, I cannot say for sure.  Some things we are not meant to know.

I do know one thing, I must revisit the wisdom of our friend’s disdain for chasing birds.  It may be a wiser decision that I had initially understood.  Perhaps he is not so worried for the welfare  of the birds as much as for the cleanliness of his children…

3 comments:

  1. A few weeks ago we were at the Imagine Museum and as we were leaving a bird flew by and left a present all over my sweatshirt as I screamed "Come On!!!" at the heavens. I no longer own previously mentioned sweatshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the birds are branching out to family members! This must be more serious than I thought. Wait...have YOU been chasing birds?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha :) We have an arrangement with the birds. They get out of the way when we come and we let them do what they need to our statues. Seinfeld was ahead of his time.

    ReplyDelete