Friday, July 16, 2010

Phone etiquette

When I was younger I was told that it was impolite to call someone before 9am or after 9pm.

I have stuck to this rule for a loooong time.

I have often wished that telemarketers would also stick to this rule.  But that is another blog…

After I had my monkeys, I often found this rule to be very hard to follow.  9pm was fine – I was no longer coherent at that time of night anyway – so there wasn’t much need to talk on the phone.  But 9am was another thing altogether.  When your kids wake you sometime around 5, then you day seems halfway over by 9.  There were actually  many years that by 9am my monkeys had woken up, then gone down for a nap, and then woken up again! Waiting around for an “appropriate” hour seemed like torture.

I began to wonder who came up with this ridiculous 9am rule.  Surely there are no adults that are still actually sleeping by 9am!  I certainly can’t imagine any near future where my children don’t wake me up long before that.

Or, at least, I couldn’t imagine that before this morning, when I got a phone call at 9:05 that woke me up.  It  woke me up!!  As in, I was asleep, and had not woken up in the morning at all before 9am!  At first I was a little nervous.  Monkeys that don’t wake up their mama are usually up to no good…  But Owen was sleeping next to me, and I found Jack up in his own bed – sound asleep.

Sleeping in is the kind of luxury that I thought I would not experience  for a very very long time.  It is surprisingly nice, and I think I could get used to it…

I am not sure if the monkeys are going to make a habit of waking up at 9.  We shall see if it continues into the weekend. 

For now, please continue to listen to your parents and follow proper phone etiquette, and don’t call before 9am…

1 comment:

  1. Yup, I get it. I just woke up! At 9:30 a.m.! I never sleep til 9:30 a.m. Thanks for not calling.

    ReplyDelete