Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Full Summer Days

I just fell asleep TWICE while trying to talk to Owen as I put him to bed.  But that is not a complaint.  It was one of those really good tireds that you feel after a full summer day.

The boys and I went to Lisa’s house this morning.  I was going to help her tidy up since she had just found out that her company was going to arrive a day early and she still had a few things she wanted to get done. ( Before you give me too much credit as being a good friend, I must divulge that we had been planning on going to the pool with her family today and I really really didn’t want to have the plans canceled.  Helping her finish faster meant that we could still go together!)

When I arrived at her house, Lisa’s trainer was there so we started by doing an hour workout together.  Now that should get me points on the “good friend” list…Just kidding – the workout was an added bonus – it was really motivating and just what I needed.  I even did 30 push-ups!! (pause for applause)

We spent a few hours on Lisa’s company preparations, fed the kids, and went to the pool - YEA!

IMG_4815Lisa was a swim teacher in a former life (aka - before children).  She still has it though, because she worked magic with my monkeys today.  She encouraged the boys to get comfortable in the pool, blow bubbles, put their faces totally under water, then kick their feet out behind them.  Jack totally did all of this and Owen mostly did.  Mind you, Lisa accomplished this from the comfort of a lounge chair while drinking a cold diet coke and reading a magazine! (and, no, I am not kidding about any of it.)

After a few hours, she said something to the effect of, “Oh look, he’s ready!”  She suddenly popped in the pool and helped each boy to relax- floating them on their tummies and backs (something I can never get them to do for me!) She taught them to breath in a way that helps them stay under water longer; and they did it!  By the end of the short time she played with them in the pool, she had them both pushing off the edge, arms out front, bodies totally submerged.  Jack got especially into it, and would go farther and farther each time, then pop up with a HUGE smile on his face, both arms up for double high-fives. IMG_4828 IMG_4829IMG_4837IMG_4808

We all had a great day and the boys were so proud of themselves.   Jack called himself a “great swimmer” and while Owen is more careful about details – stating that he need arm strokes and proper kicking to be “really swimming”, both monkeys were so excited to tell Daddy of their accomplishments.  

The boys were very tired and having a hard time keeping awake much past 8.  (They wouldn’t agree with this statement, but it’s my blog…)

Poor Owen, he has been so into reading lately and really wanted to practice, but he was so tired, he kept reading some of the words backwards.  Luckily Owen is a trooper, and laughed at himself and  finished the entire story.

I, on the other hand, am not a trooper.  I didn’t even make it through telling Owen about the events of his day – his favorite bedtime ritual.  When I felt the lull of sleep hitting me for the third time, I had to just kiss him goodnight and promise that tomorrow brings another summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment