Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Love For Your Mama

When I was a little girl, I used to love finding two pieces of cereal stuck together.  These “doubles” were like finding hidden treasure.  I  put the “doubles” from my cereal behind my bowl and saved them until the end.  Somehow they were very special and I remember thinking they were like dessert for breakfast.

My monkeys get excited about “doubles” as well.  They usually yell, “Look Mama, I got a double!”  And, when I acknowledge the excitement of the event, they pop it in their mouth – a huge smile on their face.

I must admit that I have taken a few “doubles” from one boy’s cereal bowl, and put them in the other’s bowl when I poured two bowls, and one hit the”doubles” jackpot.

A few weeks ago, before our Big Big Trip, the monkeys were eating cereal for breakfast and discovered “doubles” at the same time.  We were reveling in the amazement of Double “Doubles,” (Ahh, the simple joys of childhood) when one of the monkeys offered their double to me.   The other quickly agreed.  I loved that they wanted to share these treasures with me – that is true love for your mama!

IMG_2264

Today at breakfast, Owen was excited to find no less than three Doubles in his chocolate Paris cereal.  He laid them out and saved them until the end of his meal. 

It reminded me of a little find I made as I was packing for this trip.  I was going through Owen’s room looking for one of his leapster games to bring.  I looked in his bedside table drawer (a drawer where he keeps his most special items) and what do you think I found?  Yep, a little stash of of Doubles.  I looked in Jack’s bedside table drawer, and he had a little stash too.

Doubles are even higher up on the status of items than I had previously understood them to be.   Now that I was offered one, by BOTH of my monkeys, I know that I am truly loved.

1 comment: