Sunday, March 21, 2010

Useless Suggestions

As I filled up my car the other day, I noticed this on the gas-pump screen, “Replace nozzle when finished”

Seriously?!IMAG0098

Now, I am aware that there is a group of people who forget to remove the nozzle from their cars before they drive away from the station.  These friends shall remain nameless; they know who they are… (Oh, and for those wondering, when you do drive away, the hose and nozzle detach themselves from the pump, and things are fine – no spills or anything.  And if you bring the nozzle back to the station, the attendant will probably be very surprised because that doesn’t usually happen. )

Anyway, the thing that I just can’t quite understand is how this reminder screen is going to help. 

Now, I am going to go out on a limb and presuppose that very few people are out to steal a nozzle and hose.  Thus, someone who drives away from the station without removing the nozzle from their car obviously has a lot on their mind!  I find it highly unlikely that this person would be reading all of the advertisements that are on the pump screen. 

To me, this warning is similar to saying, “Be careful.  Don’t fall!”to a child that is running downhill on cement.  It is a useless suggestion.  The child will trip, or they will not trip, but your warning will have no bearing as to whether or not it will happen. 

I hope that writing this doesn’t give me bad gas-pump karma…

3 comments:

  1. Umm...a few year ago Melissa drove off with the pump in her car, it did NOT detach and she even bent the canopy building to boot. THAT was an expensive insurance claim, LOL. I called her a few months ago to say they remodeled that station and it made me all melancholy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are still cranky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been fortunate that in both of my 'incidents' the pump detached and I drove off with a nice big hose clanking along side the car. So embarassing! And to happen twice? I don't think this warning would help me though.....:) They are really happy when you come back with the hose though, even though it's embarassing!

    ReplyDelete