Thursday, May 19, 2011

Owen is Six

My sweet boy!  Today you are six and are so so big.  You have sprouted up in the last few months both in height and in what you are able to do. Despite your growth spurts, I take a little comfort that you can still fit in the SUV tent that Daddy and I made for you for your first birthday.  You have taken to sleeping in it , and even with your legs stretched out, your body still fits completely inside.  You are also still happy to give me hugs and kisses in public.  And, you will find me and cuddle up in my lap when I am reading.  I love these times.

You read every chance you get and, if given the choice of who should read books before bed, you prefer to take turns– each of us reading one page until the book is done.

I am amazed at what a deep/practical thinker you are.  Like today, when Katie told you about “Chatters” was getting married, you wanted to know where he and his new wife were going to live! Your thinking helps you focus - earlier this week you spent 6 hours working on your Lego kit that Grandma Mary gave you for your birthday. That kind of concentration is inspiring - then again, I think it takes you about that same amount of time each day to get dressed for school…

You only ask for Lego sets for your birthday, and sometimes you also want a light saber.  You decided that you very-much wanted a tiny ladybug Pillow Pet after you picked that out for Katie and Sarah’s birthday gift.   Daddy and I gave you a Lego set and a bike with six gears and hand brakes.  (Jack and Daddy bought the bike at REI and hid it in Doc and Nana’s garage several weeks ago – and Jack was able to keep the secret this whole time!)  You seem to really like the bike , but seem a little overwhelmed by its size.  I have no doubt that you will tackle the challenge of the new bike with gusto.  You are so much more confident in yourself and are proud that you have faced several of your fears – I am too!

My six-year-old.  My sweet, caring, silly, thoughtful, polite, serious boy.  My Owen.  I love you – Happy Birthday.

1 comment: