Monday, August 30, 2010

Meet the Teacher

Today is the day that the kids at Owen’s school get to meet their teacher for a few minutes and see their classroom.  Though Owen generally states that he does not want to go to Kindergarten, he said he was excited to meet his teacher.

Before we left, I asked Owen if he wanted to make a card for his teacher.  He did, and when I got a blank card out, expecting him to draw a picture and sign his name, he began dictating. 

“Dear Mrs. Perry,

I am so excited to meet you.  I hope I have a fun time in your class.

(Hm, I need two more sentences.  What else should I write, Mama?) (Mama: You could tell her something about yourself.)

My mom and dad say I am a good listener sometimes.  I know how to read a lot of sounds.  My favorite colors are green, blue, and brown.”

After his dictation he drew a picture of two people.  “This is me, and this is my teacher,”  he said, then hopped up and headed out the door.  OK.IMG_5185

Owen held my hand the whole time heading into the school, and then walking to his classroom.  But, once we got in, he seemed quite comfortable and enjoyed looking around the room and doing the “scavenger hunt.”

There was one section that told him to find the sink in the room, then it said, “While you’re over there, why don’t you take a drink.”  Owen’s head snapped around when I read this.  “Does it really say that on the paper!?”  He insisted on checking for himself.  He did like that the sink had a water fountain attached.IMG_5186

It was a good experience for Owen, and I think it will make a big difference in helping him feel calm and ready on the first day of school on Wednesday. 

Now if only I feel calm.  I have been jittery all day.  I feel like I can’t think clearly (and I obviously am not - I realized I got two different people to watch the boys tomorrow while Eric and I go to the parent orientation).  I am having a hard time breathing.

I have always had physical responses to emotional issues, so I know nothing serious is going on with me and I will be fine in a few days.  I can’t decide whether I want the next few days to just get over with, or if I would rather they slow down, so I can have a few more hours before the great school train departs… It will be a lot easier to breathe if it hurries up!  

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Mrs. Perry (who by the way looks exactly like the drawing of her :)) knows what a very lucky lady she is.

    ReplyDelete