Friday, December 3, 2010

Five-Year-Old Funnies

Charlotte was at our house today for a few hours since she and Owen didn’t have school.  I was folding the origami boxes for the fudge, and asked if they wanted to sit down with me and make a box too.

After they had each made a box(quite impressive, I must say!), I suggested that they go up into Owen or Jack’s room and find something to put in the box.  Then I would ask them questions and try to guess what was inside.  (I felt slightly worried about my supervision skills over the last hour as I had let Charlotte play the Kinnect video game and then had let her play with toy guns with Owen – not exactly two things her mom is crazy about…I figured an educational-ish game might make up for it.)

They loved the idea and ran upstairs then returned quickly.  I asked them yes/no questions about their objects.  They were thrilled with knowing something that I didn’t know, and then equally thrilled with my correct final guess of their object.  They ran up and down the stairs many times bringing things like a turtle puppet, a mini Lego X-wing, a small train, a notebook, a fake credit card…After a while they graduated to gift bags to “hide” their object so they could hide bigger items.  After about 8 items each, they both came down giggling and their eyes sparkled. 

I was worried.

I asked my usual questions, is it soft/does it have wheels/is it an animal/is it made of paper… followed by new questions; would I like to touch it/is it disgusting?   I finally discovered that Owen’s item was a diaper(unused luckily).  Fits of laughter exploded from Owen and Charlotte, then they ran back upstairs.  They were still giggling when they returned – bags in hand.  Charlotte had a pair of underwear and Owen another diaper.  More ferocious laughter…  I commented that the game was turning quickly into a potty game which was, apparently, funnier than bringing down a diaper and a pair of underwear.  Owen’s next four objects were all diapers.  When you are five, jokes just get funnier each time you tell them – it was roll-on-the-floor-funny at this point…well, to some of us anyway.

When I suggested that they move on to another game, Owen brought the bag down, “Just one more time!”  After assuring me that the answer was not, “a diaper” I began to guess.  Surprise, surprise – it was a diaper AND underwear…

IMAG0397

No comments:

Post a Comment