Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween Costumes

The other day, Katie and Sarah’s grandma gave me an article on how to make no-sew superhero costumes and add-ons (like belts) made of fabric and colored duct tape.

I was totally inspired by the idea and decided to make a cape and belt for the monkeys.  I couldn’t quite bring myself to settle with a taped together cape (and my mom left her sewing machine at my house accidentally- oh boy!) so I went full board and took the monkeys to the fabric store to pick out cape material.

The monkeys were excited and decided that they would wear their capes for Halloween.  When the materials added up to $30 at the check-out I was glad for their decision!  So much for a cheap costume…

Anyway, I decided that when I made the capes I would try everything I wanted to do even if it sounded hard. This was really my first serious sewing project – so I had pretty low expectations. (But 4 and 6 year olds are easy to please – so I figured I could mess up lots of stuff and they would still be excited )

Owen wanted a Spiderman cape,  and he picked two fabrics, so I made a reversible cape that goes over his shoulders.  Since Spiderman doesn’t really have a cape, I had to make up his “symbol” to put on the back.  IMG_0937IMG_0948

I stitched a web and a spider on a plain black shirt to finish Owen’s costume, and we made belts out of duct tape and velcro.IMG_0969IMG_0977IMG_0988IMG_0976

Jack’s cape is a much simpler shape – and not reversible, but the “S symbol” is actually sewed separately.  I cut the red S out of the satin, and sewed it to some yellow felt – it took forever!  Then I sewed that to the cape using this really wide stitch that probably isn’t meant to be used that way- there were so many little holes from the needle, that I was afraid I had made something close to that part of notebook paper where it is perforated and easy to rip out of the notebook.  I worried that the black line around the S would rip easily, but it has survived LOTS of wear and tear from Jack so far!   Also, I think I used an entire spool of black thread on that section!!!  IMG_0940

Overall, the boys were happy, and I was pretty impressed at how well everything came out. 

This photo is just too sweet to leave out!IMG_1003

No comments:

Post a Comment