Thursday, July 7, 2011

Healthy

Owen came downstairs tonight saying he was scared.  He very rarely gets out of bed once he has fallen asleep.  Eric and I gave him hugs and kisses and I carried him back up to bed.

Mama: You are in your safe house with your Mama and daddy and your little brother.

Owen: When I am an adult I will have a different family.

Mama: Yes, but Mama’s not ready to talk about that now!

Owen: It’s ok Mama, you will live there too.

Mama: When you are grown up and have your own family, I will come over to visit you (worried look from Owen)  and I will sneak candy to your kids when you aren’t looking!

Owen: You will?!

Mama: Yep.

Owen: But, you will be a  much more healthy grandma right?

Mama:  ????  What do you mean?  You have two very healthy grandmas!  We are so lucky.

Owen: No, I don’t.  Grandma Mary is not very healthy.

Mama: I think I am confused.

Owen: She is not healthy because she gives us a lot of sugar things when we see her.

Mama: (laughing) I see what you mean now.  But I think I will probably give your kids unhealthy stuff sometimes.  See, something strange happens to people when they go from mamas to grandmas.  When Daddy was little, Grandma  mostly gave him a lot of healthy stuff to eat.

Owen: (clearly shocked) She did?!?!!

Mama: Yup. But now that she is a grandma… (I smile and shake my head).

Owen: (narrows his eyes and looks at me for a minute): I still think you are going to be a healthy grandma. (he turns over in bed and closes his eyes)  Goodnight!

2 comments: